In recent years, according to the overall goal in adjusting the structure of leather products, our company has spared no effort to expand the proportion of the development and promotion of new varieties and to expand the marketing share of new varieties in the market on the basis of maintaining the advantages of the original products. In particular, the development and promotion of environmental-friendly green leather products is the priority to implement for the Research and Development Department in our company. Key projects of clean production technology have been established after discussion, including “low-sulfur and sulfur-free hair-saving unhairing technology”, “ecological tanning technology”, “water conservation and reclaimed water reuse technology in tanning”, and “resource utilization technology of the solid waste in tanning”. These key projects aim at the two major worldwide problems of waste and wastewater in tanning, solve the tanning pollution from the source, strive to achieve the change from “end treatment” to “process treatment” and at the same time efficiently purify wastewater so that it can be recycled to minimize adverse effects on the environment. These measures coincide with the proposal made during the Eleventh Five-Year Plan period for the leather industry to “develop green leather industry and take a new development road of resource-saving and environment-friendly industrialization”. We are confident to become a leading demonstration enterprise of green tanning in China.
As a profit-making enterprise, customer demand is the driving force and direction of our product research and development. With the increasing maturity of the domestic market economy, the requirements of customers are getting higher and higher. At present, many small and medium-sized leather enterprises in China have begun to gradually withdraw from the market because of the backward equipment and the emissions that fail to meet the requirements of environmental protection. However, those enterprises with low resource consumption, low environmental pollution, and high scientific and technological content have withstood the test and grown stronger. The development model at the expense of the environment in the past will completely withdraw from the stage, while “green” and “environmental protection” leather products will become the mainstream of the market, which will achieve a comprehensive upgrade. In order to keep up with the market trend and meet the needs of the society, our company often takes the initiative to collect the research and development information of new products, and vigorously promotes the advantages of new products from the aspects of innovation and environmental protection in the visits and surveys of customers. At present, we are establishing a tripartite strategic cooperative relationship among suppliers, manufacturers and distributors to realize long-term strategic cooperation, by carrying out research, development and sales plan of green leather and fine leather. Our company has realized the transformation from the operation of ordinary mixed leather in the past to the management of fine leather with high-tech content and high added-value by the development and promotion of green leather products and the production and marketing of Nappa fine products. Moreover, the sales volume rises year by year, and the excellent quality has won the consistent high praise of the customers.
In order to cooperate with the implementation of environmental protection technology and to build modern environmental protection factories, on the one hand, we have increased investment and strengthened research and development through the implementation of clean technology, the development of new green leather products, the effective use of water resources, and the reuse of production waste, to become the leading environmental protection factory in China. On the other hand, we are also constantly improving our management ideas. Environmental protection and energy conservation have been set as our annual aim of career management, and the environmental-occupational health and safety management system has been established. It is the obligatory duty of we technical developers to aim at the interests of consumers, and to devote to the reuse of the waste and the prevention of pollution while producing excellent products.
In the future, we have the confidence and strength to make the "Xingye" brand better. Our plan is to further develop the market for new green leather products by the response to the development trend of the leather industry in the new era. We adhere to integrity-based principles in the cooperation with customers, and build a long-term and stable cooperation relationship together between supply and demand. In the future, we will continue to develop technical cooperation and cooperation of product research and development, explore deeper cooperation according to market demand and development, and exploit a broader market for Xingye’s fine products.
For example, the company participated in the setting of Leather for Furniture in 2008. It also participated in the drawing up of Technical Requirement for Environmental Labeling Products-Leather and Synthetic Leather in 2011 and participated in the setting of Evaluation Index System for Clean Production in Tanning Industry (trial).
The company makes full use of external high-quality resources to take the lead in carrying out research on clean production technology of tanning in China, including various types of cooperation with leather research group of Sichuan University. We have successfully developed the key technologies for clean production, including recycling technology of chrome liquor and unhairing lime liquor, biochemical treatment technology in tanning preparation section, unhairing technology of sulfide-free and lime，high absorption chrome tanning technology, and resource utilization technology of tanning solid waste.
Our company is responsible for the major projects in Fujian Province - Research and Development for Clean Production and Recycling Economy Technology in Tanning Industry, which is a major special technical project for Fujian Province, with a level of international advanced. In August 2008, the company’s “Research and Development on Recycling Tanning Clean Production Technology” project won the third prize in the first “Innovation Award for Energy Saving, Emission Reduction and Environmental Protection in China Leather Industry”.
We have undertaken the National Spark Program - Systematic Clean Production Technology of Leather. The Spark Program Office of the Ministry of Science and Technology issued the “Project Certificate of National Spark Program” for the project.
In addition to the above projects, the company has also sent technicians to participate in the research of “Waterborne Collagen Finishing Agent Development” and "Application of Microencapsulation Technology in Leather Production" of the Ministry of Science and Technology. “Waterborne Collagen Finishing Agent Development” is beneficial to the process of technological innovation and resource utilization of leather industry in China, and at the same time, it can also provide a kind of environmental-friendly finishing agent product with excellent performance for the market, in line with the strategic requirements of sustainable development in China. “Application of Microencapsulation Technology in Leather Production” is of great significance to improve the technical content of leather products, and reduce the pollution of leather production and the harm to human health.
In the aspect of product testing, the company has combined the upgrade of QB/T1873-2010 Shoe Upper Leather, QB/T2680-2004 Lining leather, SATRA-related testing standards, and regulations and testing method standards for enterprise quality management. By the continuous tracking of international advanced technology, we have actively developed, introduced and adopted applicable advanced technology and standards, established the provincial-level test center, got recognition of CNAS National Laboratory, and improved the technological innovation ability of testing. (There are a number of advanced testing equipment in the testing center, including pull intension tester, softness tester, yellowing resistance testing machine, air permeability testing machine, friction fading testing machine, cold resistance testing machine, sweat resistance testing machine, ultra-violet and visible spectrophotometer and so on. The pull intension tester and ultra-violet and visible spectrophotometer are first-class production testing equipment both domestically and internationally, the detection capacity range of which basically covers the testing items in the whole process of leather production.)
With abundant scientific research funds, talents and innovative strength, Xingye Technology has successively developed new products independently, and won nearly 20 leather patents authorized by the State. It is an innovative pilot of technological innovation project in Fujian Province and a major special implementation unit of science and technology in Fujian Province. In 2006, it officially became a member of SATRA, the world’s authority of tanning technology, and was recognized as a “High-Tech Enterprise” in 2011. It owned “Industry Technology Center in Fujian” and the first “National Testing Center” approved by the China National Accreditation Service for Conformity Assessment among the tanning industry in China.
Xingye Technology has unswervingly followed the development path of a new type of leather industry of “resource-saving and environment-friendly”, and has determined the direction of technological development mainly based on clean tanning technology, which mainly includes the following aspects: First, clean tanning technology, including hair-saving and unhairing, sulfur-free tanning technology, salt-free and low-salt pickling or no-pickling tanning technology, low-chrome or chrome-free high exhaustion tanning technology, high exhaustion retanning dyeing and fat-liquoring technology, energy-saving and water-saving technology. Second, tanning waste recovery technology, including the development of collagen products from leather solid waste and the production of bio-fertilizer products from tanning sludge. Third, the development of new products and technologies, mainly including the development of high value-added and marketable new leather products according to market requirement.
1. Low-sulfur and sulfur-free hair-saving and unhairing technology project. An environment-friendly auxiliary liming agent has been successfully developed to achieve low-sulfur, hair-saving and unhairing. The unhaired can be separated and recovered by supporting liquid-hair separation equipment and most of the protein in the unhairing waste liquid can be recovered by corollary environmental protection equipment of protein recovery. At present, the technology has been promoted in the production of all products including Nappa, natural wrestling, imitative wrestling and decorative rind of bags, which can eliminate sulfide pollution and reduce COD pollution by more than 85%.
2. Low-chrome high exhaustion tanning technology project. Anti-chrome pollution environmental –protection additive with strong stability and cushioning property, which can be used under the condition of high pH tanning without pickling, has been successfully developed. The additive can enhance the binding capacity of chromate and skin collagen and greatly improve the absorbency of chromate. At present, the technology has been successfully applied to the production of all products. The dosage of chrome tanning agent has been reduced from 6-7% to 4-5%, and the amount of Cr2O3 in chrome waste liquid has been reduced by more than 60%.
3. Ecological tanning technology project. Organic tanning with low formaldehyde has been adopted to realize completely chrome-free. Wet white is milk white in color, soft and stretchy in hand feeling. The common problem of dry and hard hand feeling of wet white has been overcome. On the basis of wet white, a series of full vegetable tanning and semi-vegetable tanning products have been developed, with a shrinkage temperature of above 85℃. The new products avoid the use of chrome powder in traditional tanning and completely eliminate the pollution of chromate, which is of great significance to the maintenance of ecological environment and the survival of the industry.
4. Chrome tanning wastewater recycling technology. At present, it has been successfully promoted for production. The chrome tanning wastewater is collected through a special pipeline, the solid impurities therein are removed by filtration, and then the chromic hydroxide precipitate is generated through alkali addition. After the pressure filtration, the chrome cake is obtained, which can be re-dissolved by sulfuric acid. By adjusting the pH value and chrome content, the chrome tanning agent is regained, which will partly replace the chrome powder in chrome tanning process. After about 5 cycles, the recycled chrome tanning agent needs to be regenerated to remove the organic impurities combined with the chrome and improve tanning performance. The specific method is to dissolve the chrome cake with acid and then add oxidant to oxidize organic impurities into gas to remove them. The added oxidant is also reduced to harmless components. The dichromate generated can be completely reduced by adding a small amount of Sodium thiosulfate. Adjust its pH value to about 2.5 and then transfer it to chrome tanning liquor storage pool for aging. After the chrome content of chrome tanning liquor in the storage pool is analyzed, it can be reused in chrome tanning process. The reuse rate of chromate in chrome tanning wastewater can reach more than 99%. Excluding some spillage in the treating process, the recycling rate of chrome tanning wastewater can reach more than 95%. The chrome content in the treated wastewater is less than 10 mg/kg, which can meet the effluent standard after mixing with other wastewater. The process can save the dosage of potassium dichromate by 25%-35% and salt by more than 70%, which helps to reduce the chrome pollution and salt pollution generated in the tanning process.
5. Liming wastewater recycling technology. The hair-saving unhairing is adopted to prevent excessive degradation, to reduce COD production by 20%-30% from the source and to reduce the usage of sodium sulfide. The liming wastewater is collected through a special pipeline, while the solids in the wastewater, such as lime particles and fur, are removed by screw-discharge sedimentation centrifuge. Sodium sulfide and lime will be added after analyzing the effective components of the wastewater, which can be reused in the hair-destroying period of hair-saving unhairing process.
After 5 days of circulation, since the increase of calcium ion and organic matter content will affect unhairing and the fiber loosing effect, the wastewater needs to be regenerated by recovering sodium sulfide and protein. The sodium sulfide recovered can be directly used in unhairing process while the protein recovered can reduce the COD content in the liming wastewater by 85% and the COD content in the synthetic wastewater by 50%. The effective use of sulfide and lime in the liming wastewater can save 52% of sodium sulfide and 63% of lime in production, reduce the production of 100 tons of sodium sulfide and 150 tons of lime pollutants per year and save more than 50,000 tons of water.
“Systematic Clean Production Technology of Leather” has been listed as a National Spark Program. “Research and Development on Recycling Tanning Clean Production Technology” project has won the third prize of the first “Innovation Award for Energy Saving, Emission Reduction and Environmental Protection in China Leather Industry”.
Xingye Technology has also participated in the project of “Waterborne Collagen Finishing Agent Development” of the Ministry of Science and Technology. The project utilizes solid wastes generated in tanning to develop waterborne collagen for finishing, which is conducive to the process of technological innovation and resource utilization of leather industry in China, and provides an environmental protection finishing agent with excellent performance for the market, which meets the strategic requirements of sustainable development in China.
Development of New Products and New Technologies
1. Lolita. The product has achieved remarkable results through repeated process validation and market promotion. It has been greatly recognized by customers in Guangzhou and Wenzhou, and the order volume has increased month by month.
2. Waxing Series (scorch waxing 1#, waxing crust). The product mainly conforms to the market demand for scorching and waxing product. After the development and adaptation, we have basically mastered the quality and style requirements of the products with continued orders.
3. Oil waxing water dyeing leather. After the successful development and introduction to the market, the stability and the characteristics of the product (large area, fine grain and soft feel) have been continuously maintained, which thus have been recognized by the majority of customers. The product process has also been widely applied to many products.